Fit mom

Fit mom

Monday, October 20, 2014

Citrus Chicken Quinoa

Happy Meal prep Monday! I am bringing you my newest recipe. I try to bring you guys at least ONE new recipe a week… hopefully I will be able to fit in more one day. But I love trying new things! Mix it up a bit ;) Even some foods that don't LOOK the most appealing- but its like DANG, that is pretty good actually!
We had a pretty fun packed weekend! It was relaxing but eventful all at the same time.. We went to the orchard on saturday for pony rides!! hmm maybe I will blog about that later this week! Chloe absolutely loves the ponies! At least this time around she didn't throw a COMPLETE fit when we had to leave :/ last time we cried all.the.way.home. It was a blast ;) Anywayss.. we did that and then went out to eat on sunday for Neil's grandparents 60th Anniversary! 

Seems like no matter what we do on the weekends it ends up being jam packed and busy. I always want to find that PERFECT new recipe. I searched and searched and came up with this one.. Its the perfect twist of citrus and protein. I love chicken and fruit! I also love QUINOA! If you haven't tried it before.. its a must! A much healthier alternative to plain rice or other carbs. 

I need to start organizing my day a little better.. because today I just about ran out of time! I had a call with a potential coach and then before I knew it, it was 5:30! I still had to workout and make dinner.. I JUST ABOUT excused my workout! But then I decided to squeeze in my T25 before I started cooking. Actually I started cooking.. threw some garlic in the oven and started cooking the quinoa, THEN pressed play! Some serious Multi tasking going on! You do what you've got to do right!? Thank goodness for my mom who came over for the evening and took Chloe outside for some fun! 

This recipe was excellent.. Chloe even approved! She loved it actually! This little girl loves Quinoa. I started her out young ;) When she was younger (about one) she totally refused ANY source of protein.. well not any. But any meat!! No chicken, beef, tuna, turkey.. nothing. I tried to get her sources of protein other ways but she would literally pick out the noodles in her spaghetti or hot dish and eat AROUND the meat. Thats my stubborn daughter for you :) haha But anyways.. she really did like the meal. And I think it is a great choice for young kids as well as adults! If you were going to make this STRICTLY just for your kids.. I would maybe leave out the cilantro. At least Chloe wasn't a huge fan of that part.. other than that she loved it!



Here is what you need:
1 1/2 cups COOKED Quinoa
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 lb. skinless boneless chicken breast, chopped into 1 inch pieces
2 cloves of roasted garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
2 large oranges, peeled and segmented
1 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed 


Dressing
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (packed)
1 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 Tbsp. Honey

























Directions: 
Roast the Garlic in the oven.. follow these directions for the garlic:
Take 1 garlic and cut the top off. Put in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Turn your oven on 375 and bake for 40 minutes. 



Cook Quinoa according to the directions on the package. - About 15-20 minutes!

Pour olive oil in a medium sauce pan and add chicken and chopped roasted garlic. Add salt and smoked paprika. Fry until chicken is cooked through. 

When the Quinoa is done and chicken, combine them in a bowl. Add oranges, cilantro, and avocado. Drizzle the dressing over the top of the salad and enjoy!!


Feel free to follow me on Facebook for daily motivation!
Facebook link >>>







No comments:

Post a Comment